Further 83.5 miles awarded prestigious Green Flag status
We're celebrating six stretches of canal that have now been awarded Green Flag status.
They join the Trust’s 165 miles of existing Green Flag waterways, taking the total to 248.5 miles.
Canals gaining a Green Flag Award this year are:
- 19 miles of the Lancaster Canal from Bilsborrow to the Lune Aqueduct
- 30 miles of the Chesterfield Canal from Kiveton Park to West Stockwith
- 8 miles of the Montgomery Canal
- All 9½ miles of the Pocklington Canal
- All 2½ miles of the Ripon Canal
- 14½ miles of the Bridgwater & Taunton Canal
The scheme, run by Keep Britain Tidy, recognises spaces that boast the highest possible environmental standards, are beautifully maintained, and play an important role in the local community. Most Green Flag sites are parks, but we have shown that watery spaces open to the public can have the same positive impacts as grassy ones.
Jon Horsfall, head of customer services at the Trust said: "We’re delighted that a further six special canals have been recognised with Green Flag Awards for their wildlife, accessibility, heritage and benefits to those who live nearby."
International Green Flag Award scheme manager Paul Todd added: "We are delighted to be celebrating another record-breaking year for the Green Flag Award scheme, with more Green Flags awarded this year than last year.
"Each flag honours the thousands of staff and volunteers who work tirelessly to maintain the high standards demanded by the Green Flag Award. We are proud to have so many wonderful green spaces in the UK for people to enjoy, and hope that next year, we award even more flags."
Existing Canal & River Trust Green Flag Awards from previous years:
- 4 miles of the River Lee Navigation in London
- 14 miles of the SSSI section of the Chesterfield Canal from Stockwith to Retford
- 22 miles of the Shropshire Union Canal from Middlewich to Audlem
- 12 miles of the Peak Forest Canal in the Peak District
- All 26 miles of the Macclesfield Canal
- All 87 miles of the Kennet & Avon Canal
- Marple Aqueduct and Marple Lock Flight – Green Heritage Award