The Anderton Boat Lift is an incredible edifice, perched on the banks of the River Weaver Navigation like a giant three-storey-high iron spider.
The Canal was engineered by James Brindley, who is celebrating his 300th birthday this year.
Like all great things, the concept is simple: two huge water tanks (caissons), each with watertight sealable doors, carry boats up and down. The original counter-balanced system was replaced in 1908 by electric operation, but the lift now works hydraulically again.
No description can adequately convey the sheer scale of this engineering feat. The lift worked until 1983 when serious deterioration of the structure was discovered. Some £7m was raised to fund the restoration, which was completed in 2002.
The completion of the restoration was followed by the opening of the Visitor Centre in 2003. The building houses the exhibition ' The Story of The Anderton Boat Lift', a gift shop and a coffee shop.
March - July 2016
Trip Boat Operational daily
Weekdays Visitor Centre & Coffee Shop Open: 9.30am - 4pm
Weekends & Bank Holidays Visitor Centre Open: 9.30am - 5.30pm
Weekends & Bank Holidays Coffee Shop Open: 9.30am - 5pm