Boating through Anderton Boat Lift
Following government guidelines, we are currently operating limited passage for essential travel only. Please telephone 0303 0404 040 to book.
The thrill of taking your boat up (or down) the Anderton Boat Lift is surely something on every boater's bucket list. Find out more about how to book, how much it costs and how to stay safe.
It's truly a unique experience manoeuvering your boat into the caissons and letting our marvellous machine lift you effortlessly from one level to the other.
Passage times and bookings
You can find current opening times for passage in our Notices section.
You can find our current operating times here
Booking fees and charges (Essential travel only)
|Long tem licence holders|
|£20 single narrow beam (<7ft wide)|
|£30 return narrow beam (<7ft wide)|
The charges and restrictions vary depending on your licence:
- Canal & River Trust 'Canal & River' long term licence holders - 3, 6, or 12 month licence
- Canal & River Trust 'Rivers Only' long term licence holders - 3, 6, or 12 month licence
- Canal & River Trust 'Short Term Only' licence holders - 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or explorer licences. Usage charge applies
Non Canal & River Trust licenced vessels (ie: Bridgewater Boats) usage charge applies
You will need permission from your hire boat company before you are allowed to use the Anderton Boat Lift. Please be aware that the boat will also need to be licensed. Check our terms and conditions for details.
Passage safety rules
To make sure your visit is as safe as possible, please remember to:
- Switch off your engine once your vessel is secured inside the caisson
- Turn off naked flames
- Stay off cabin roofs or gunwales
- Not lean over the side of the vessel or caisson
- Obey all instructions from the lift operator
- Sound your horn to attract the lift operator’s attention if there is an emergency
In the unlikely event of an emergency, all passengers and crew should remain in their vessels unless instructed otherwise by our lift operators.
River Weaver lock passage
You can find all information on lock opening times in the Boaters Information.
Last date edited: 20 April 2021