Slightly separate from the rest of the docks, twelve cottages were originally built for the dock workers in 1833 and were home to shipwrights, blacksmiths, railway workers, porters and their families.
Only four cottages remain today, numbers 9 to 12, and internally they have been furnished to reflect different time periods - 1830, 1900, 1936 and 1952.
Come and see the different styles of the living rooms and kitchens which reflect social history over that period.
The garage at the rear of the cottages was used to house the horse-drawn manual fire engine, fire-fighting equipment and uniforms of the Shropshire Union Fire Brigade and was last used in any fire-fighting function in 1970, when Telfords Warehouse was destroyed by fire.
Behind Porters Row cottages, lies the garden which can be accessed through number ten or through the gate at the side of the cottages.
Our plans for 2021 are to transform the garden into a few themed areas to reflect different aspects of a late 1900 garden. Come and visit us to see how we are getting on.
Our plans for the garden include:
Last date edited: 13 March 2021