If you've ever visited or cruised through Three Locks near Milton Keynes you may have notices a curious old disused building opposite the locks there. Well, thanks to the National Lottery Heritage Fund, we're bring Soulbury Pumping station back to life.
Soulbury then and now
Funded by National Lottery Heritage Fund,we're currently refurbishing the Grade II listed pumping station and as part of this, we are running a number of exciting community activities in partnership with Living Archive.
The project aims to refurbish this important heritage building, taking it off the Heritage at Risk register and bringing it to life with a new tenant plus, facilities for our valued volunteer lock keepers. Our construction teams and apprentices have been hard at work lovingly restoring the heritage features of the building and rebuilding the brickwork and roof.
Roof trusses being repaired by apprentices in our workshop
Roof being installed by construction team
The project is a great opportunity to reach out to the local community, celebrate the history of the building and to encourage more people to feel the wellbeing benefits of being by water.
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Take part in our photography competition – with a chance to win one of three fabulous prizes. The winning entries will be displayed at MK Central Library in May
- Join us for an open day on 18 May where you will be able to see up close the works that have been done; speak to our volunteers about their involvement; hear from the construction team; and take part in lots of fun, family friendly activities, inlcuding free fishing
Get in touch and share your stories about the area to feed into the materials we are creating
- Attend the exhibition at Discover MK (Milton Keynes Central library) – Further details to follow
- Get out and about with the Soulbury Pumphouse Walking Trail – To be launched in May on the MK Trails app - this will be a heritage discovery walk from the pumping station to Fenny Stratford
- If you’re a local school – contact Living Archive about receiving learning resources and attending our schools open day on 24 May
Last date edited: 24 April 2019