We love and care for your canals and rivers, because everyone deserves a place to escape.

Water points and sewage disposal

We provide water points at frequent intervals along the canals and rivers along with toilets and special units for emptying Elsans and Portapottis.

You’ll need the standard Canal & River Trust Yale key (available from our shop) to access these.   

If your boat has a holding tank, you’ll need more sophisticated pump out services. This is not covered by the licence fee and if you want to use our self-service machines, you’ll need to purchase a pre-payment card, also available from the shop. Do please follow the instructions carefully – part of the reason for the high cost of cards is the number of breakdowns that occur from mis-use of the equipment. 

A more attractive option is probably to purchase the service from a boatyard or marinas where someone will do the dirty work for you for a very reasonable fee.

What you must never do is to use a free-standing pump to pump out your tank into an Elsan disposal point – these simply don’t have the capacity and there’s a high risk of spillage. Pollution of the canalside with raw sewage would be a very serious offence as well as a health hazard. 

Find a pump out

You can find pump outs that we operate by looking at our maps. You can also download a list of non-Trust operated pumpouts.

Last date edited: 4 May 2016