Plastic and litter free canals are beautiful inspiring places to use every day or to visit, with more people than ever enjoying the benefits of spending time alongside our waterways.
As the charity that protects and cares for our waterways, we've been working hard to tackle the problem.
What we can do
We're taking action to:
- Use new technology to collect floating plastic and prevent it floating down stream to sea
- Increase the number of ‘offside' litter collections – removing items from canal banks on the opposite side of the towpath
- Work with partners to create ‘plastic free zones' in target problem areas
- Improve recycling levels by adding recycling bins and separating recyclable items from all our litter collections
- Make sure our cafes and shops don't add to the plastic problem through the items we sell or the straws, cups and packaging we use