All applications are dealt with in the same way. The process is:
- If you are a new or existing customer with a new business proposal, you are required to submit an operating proposal via our online system. Select the proposal that is most suited to your business idea and provide as much information as possible in order for us to assess accurately.
- Once submitted, you'll receive an automatic acknowledgement together with a reference number. At this stage, the relevant business boating manager will invite internal consultation and produce an appraisal response within six weeks. Where the proposal is complex or we require supporting information, we may require longer timescales to complete this review. (You will be notified of any delay). Do not commit financially to your proposed business before receiving our ‘in principle' approval.
- Where the business boating manager has confirmed that your operating proposal is acceptable in principle and no works are required, they will advise you on the next stage of authorising your business activity (e.g. business licence application or mooring agreement.
- Where your proposal requires works affecting Trust property, or if you are an existing customer with an existing property contract who wishes to carry out works, you will be asked to complete a Works Proposal for which there is a fee of £456 (£380 + vat).
- Once in receipt of a works proposal, the relevant business boating manager/surveyor (for existing customers) will invite internal consultation and produce a report within six weeks. Where the proposal is complex, we may require longer timescales to complete this review. (You will be notified of any delay).
- Where planning permission for the proposed works is required, in order to allow you sufficient time to achieve this, we will allow you up to six months to provide us with a detailed submission following the issuing of our works proposal report.
- Once we are happy that you have satisfied the criteria, you will be required to enter into an appropriate formal agreement with the Trust before starting any works.
- The Trust will provide you with an ‘authorisation for access' form for you to display in a prominent place and we will notify the relevant waterway that the works have been authorised. The Trust's engineer or surveyor will monitor the works (as appropriate) and liaise with you throughout the construction stages.
- Before applying, please make sure that you have read the sections on starting a new boating business, the general guidance and know which sector your proposal fits into. If you need any help at this stage please contact us.
Please note that we may carry out credit checks on both companies and individuals. We will advise you if the checks are unfavourable and speak with you about payment methods and/or guarantees that may enable your application to proceed.
If you do not have access to a computer or mobile device and would like to request a paper copy of the operating proposal please contact us via email.