3.5km Step by Step walk from Brecon Basin, Mon & Brec
Starting at Brecon Basin this linear walk to Brynich Aqueduct is 3.5km or 2.2 miles long.
This Step by Step route is a series of short stages, with breaks at points of interest. There’s plenty to see without walking the whole route. Why not start with a short walk and come back again to explore further?
The towpath is surfaced for all weather walking. View our film below for a taster of the route along the Mon & Brec.
Start point: Brecon Basin, LD3 7EY
End point: Brynich Aqueduct, near LD3 7UY
Distance: 3.5km or 2.2m
1. Start at Brecon Basin. Steeped in history - be sure not to miss the theatre, Dadford Bridge and the Gasworks Bridge (166) which is over 200 years old.
2. 0.6km/0.4m you'll see Watton Bridge, a unique double arch bridge.
3. 0.9km/0.6m Picnic Site, see the Hay Tramway and the lime kilns.
4. 2.2km/1.4m Brynich Bridge and you're just over half way.
5. 3.2km/2m Brynich Lock, restored in 1958 and works the same as it did in the 1800s.
6. 3.5km/2.2m, finally reaching Brynich Aqueduct, a Grade II four arched aqueduct which crosses the River Usk, built in 1800. You've reached the end of this walk, perfect time to turn around and walk back to the start.