Starting from Pontymoile Basin, this linear walk to Five Locks Basin is just under 5km or 3 miles.
This Step by Step route is a series of short stages, with breaks at points of interest. There’s plenty to see without walking the whole route. Why not start with a short walk and come back again to explore further?
The towpath is surfaced for all weather walking. View our film below for a taster of this route along the Mon & Brec.
Start point: Pontymoile Basin, NP4 0RF
End point: The Cascades, NP44 (approx)
Distance: 4.8km / 3 miles
1. Start at Pontymoile Basin.
2. Walk along the towpath, first point of reference is the railway bridge, and a little further on Junction of NCN routes Route 49. Keep an eye out for mile markers along this stretch.
3. Panteg Bridge, 49.
4. Look out for Open Hearth Pub, originally called the Railway Inn back in the 1800s.
5. Keeping walking, coming up is the Crown Bridge, 48 and Solomon's Bridge, 47, displaying lovely stone arches that can be seen all along this stretch of canal.
6. Cwmbran Tunnel. 87 yards in length and includes a steep incline.
7. Five Locks Flight.
8. Finally reaching The Cascades, constructed in 1960s.