Starting at Brecon Basin this linear walk to Brynich Aqueduct is 3.5km or 2.2 miles long.
This Step by Step route is a series of short stages, with breaks at points of interest. There’s plenty to see without walking the whole route. Why not start with a short walk and come back again to explore further?
The towpath is surfaced for all weather walking. View our film below for a taster of the route along the Mon & Brec.
Start point: Brecon Basin, LD3 7EY
End point: Brynich Aqueduct, near LD3 7UY
Distance: 3.5km or 2.2m
1. Start at Brecon Basin, steeped in history, don't miss the theatre, Dadford Bridge and the Gasworks Bridge (166) which is over 200 years old.
2. 0.6km/0.4m you'll see Watton Bridge, a unique double arch bridge.
3. 0.9km/0.6m Picnic Site, see the Hay Tramway and the lime kilns.
4. 2.2km/1.4m Brynich Bridge
5. 3.2km/2m Brynich Lock, restored in 1958 and works the same as it did in the 1800s.
6. 3.5km/2.2m, finally reaching Brynich Aqueduct, a Grade II four arched aqueduct which crosses the River Usk, built in 1800.