The National Celebration of Young People and Fishing 2022
Held every year on the third weekend of September, this event is the UK’s largest national celebration of young peoples' fishing. Our aim is to make sure participants have a fun day, land a few fish, learn something new, meet new friends and end up being inspired to come back to our waterways time and time again.
Winning a prize or being crowned champion would of course be a dream come true but taking part in this unique occasion is something that every young person aged between 7 and 20 is now able to do.
- Cadets (aged 7 to 10 years on the day of the event)
- Juniors (aged 11 to 15 on the day of the event)
- Youth (aged 16 to 20 on the day of the event)
Taking part in 2022
- The cadet and youth events will be held on the Shropshire Union Canal on Saturday 17 September.
- The junior event will be held on the Shropshire Union Canal on Sunday 18 September.
- We will again hold an online draw for your fishing peg on the Canal & River Trust Angling Facebook page on the evening of Thursday 15 September.
- We encourage those taking part to form teams of three, ideally through their local Let's Fish club or community group. There will be a special prize for the top performing school and team representing a tackle shop in both the cadet and junior event.
- Entries will open in Spring 2022.
- Once you have registered to take part, you will be entitled to one free two-hour canal coaching development session through the Let's Fish programme. These sessions are designed to help you prepare for the big day. You should email email@example.com with a subject heading National Angling Celebrations Development Programme to reserve your place. Please include your full name, age and where you live.
- If you register early for this event, you will be automatically be invited to take part in regional fishing celebrations associated with the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- To read through the rules of the event, click here.
A look back at the 2021 event
The 2021 National Celebration of Young People and Fishing made for a fantastic weekend of over 200 youngsters fishing on the Shropshire Union Canal. Thank you to everyone who took part and their families, and special thanks to all the Let's Fish! coaches, clubs and volunteers who helped run the event.
With thanks to players of People’s Postcode Lottery for their support and in association with the Angling Trust. Sponsored by GUGGS, Wellingborough and District Nene A.C., Leigh Tackle, Prince Albert Angling Society, Sensas, Colmic, Guru and Fjuka.
- Cadet winner (age 7-10): Travis Couch
Full list of cadet results
- Junior winner (age 11-15): Sam Moulton
Full list of junior results
- Youth winner (age 16-20): Brad Lucas
Full list of youth results
- Junior team winners: Sensas Smithys Black (Sam Moulton, Jacob Lees, Ollie Harvey)
- Cadet team winners: SOTAS Potters B (Nathan Morris, Angelina Bengry, Regan Grice)
- Youth team winners: Rammy All Stars (Brad Lucas, Harry Leach, Charlie Law)
With thanks to
for helping us score and share the matches results.
Get ready with Motty
Want to make the most of your experience at the National Celebration of Young People and Fishing? Hear from John, our national fisheries and angling manager, and canal fishing champion Simon 'Motty' Mottram as they talk us through exactly what the celebration is and give us some top tips on how to get the most from the event.
Still not sure whether to attend?
Let's hear from our national fisheries and angling manager, with some reasons as to why we think you should join us in September 2022.
Last date edited: 13 October 2021