5. Unhooking and returning fish to the water
Learn how to safely unhook your fish, including how to use a disgorger. Keep your fish healthy by either returning it to the water immediately or placing it in a keepnet for a short time.
Things to remember
- Use a disgorger when a fish is deeply hooked.
- Always handle fish gently and carefully.
- Return all fish to the water.
- Stay safe. It’s safer to fish as part of a group, and children must always have the permission of a parent or guardian.
- Before you go fishing you need a rod licence if you are 12 years of age or older. You also need permission from the fishery owner/angling club.
Last date edited: 24 December 2020