The branch links Burscough to the River Douglas at Tarleton.
The Rufford Branch between Rufford and Sollom was built by the Douglas Navigation around 1760. Seven years after the Leeds & Liverpool Canal was completed, a branch from Burscough to Rufford opened in 1781. The final section, from Sollom to Tarleton, opened in 1805 as part of the Croston Drainage improvements.
Read about the history of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal