The Bradley Arm became a loop when Thomas Telford's improvements of the 1830s bypassed it by the construction of the Coseley Tunnel. The south-eastern end of the loop was closed and in parts built over, following the designation of the entire loop as 'abandoned' in 1954.
The Bradley Arm now runs only as far as the Trust's main maintenance depot, which still makes wooden lock gates. Here too is the pump originally installed for mine drainage, which is now the main source of water to the Birmingham Canal.
Read more about the Birmingham Old Main Line story