The tidal locks at Thames Lock, Limehouse, Bow and West India Dock Entrance can only be used when our team or volunteers are on site. The use of tidal locks depends on the tidal times.
In line with Government guidance to keep people safe and help fight the pandemic, please note that the regional team are currently working remotely across the London & South East region and the following process will apply from Wednesday 1 April until further notice.
- We require a minimum of 48 hours in advance of passage and will only be available on a pre-booked basis. The London & South East enquiries team will only be available to arrange and take bookings from Monday - Friday.
- The preferred method for Thames Lock bookings is to please email the London & South East region directly at email@example.com.
- Please do not use the National Customer Service contact us web-form on the website as this may cause delays and this team are unable to accommodate Thames Lock Bookings.
- Passage will only be available on a pre-booked basis
- Please be advised that the cut off time for bookings is 3pm on Fridays and we will require to have completed bookings this time in order to be able to make reservations for Sunday/Mondays (subject to tide times between the hours of 7am to 7pm)
- We request that if you are aware of other boats that have booked, please do not travel to Thames Lock on the tide away without making a prior booking
- Passage through Teddington Lock on the River Thames is managed by the Environment Agency
Please ensure to add the following detail to the email message box:
- that you wish to book passage through Thames Lock
- your name and telephone number
- your boat’s name and index number
- the date and time you’d like to book for travel (taking into account tidal times)
- your direction of travel ie. up from the Thames, down to the Thames (if you are coming from the direction of Teddington Lock or Limehouse Lock)
We will confirm your booking by email and will provide the recommended safest time of travel after receiving ALL of the information required.
You must book at least 48 hours in advance
48 hours pre-booking essential for Thames Lock, Grand Union Office hours are Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays and weekends) between the hours of 9am to 5pm.
Last booking requests for the following Monday passage will be taken up to 3:00pm every Friday (excluding bank holidays)
Before you go on your journey, check lock closures on our stoppage pages.