The National Celebration of Young People and Fishing 2021
Held every year on the third weekend of September, this event is the UK’s largest national celebration of young peoples' fishing. Our aim is to make sure participants have a fun day, land a few fish, learn something new, meet new friends and end up being inspired to come back to our waterways time and time again.
Winning a prize or being crowned champion would of course be a dream come true but taking part in this unique occasion is something that every young person aged between 7 and 20 is now able to do.
- Cadets (aged 7 to 10 years on the day of the event) - Click here to book a 2021 Cadets ticket.
- Juniors (aged 11 to 15 on the day of the event) - Click here to book to book a 2021 Juniors ticket.
- Youth (aged 16 to 20 on the day of the event) - Click here to book a 2021 Youth ticket.
Taking part in 2021
- The cadet and youth events will be held on the Shropshire Union Canal at Shebdon, Staffordshire ST20 0PX on Saturday 18 September.
- The junior event will be held on the Shropshire Union Canal at Soudley, near Market Drayton, Shropshire TF9 2NB on Sunday 19 September.
- We will again hold an online draw for your fishing peg on the Canal & River Trust Angling Facebook page on the evening of Thursday 16 September.
- We encourage those taking part to form teams of three, ideally through their local Lets Fish club or community group. There will be a special prize for the top performing school and team representing a tackle shop in both the cadet and junior event.
- Entries will open in March 2021 on the Angling Trust website. The first 50 young people to book in will each receive a Drennan pole rig retailing at around £4.50. This rig is ideally suited to canal fishing and is a rig that Lets Fish coach Simon Mottram would be happy to use himself.
- Once you have registered to take part, you will be entitled to one free two-hour canal coaching development session through the Lets Fish programme. These sessions are designed to help you prepare for the big day. You should email email@example.com with a subject heading National Angling Celebrations Development Programme to reserve your place. Please include your full name, age and where you live.
- If you take part in this event, you will also be automatically be invited to take part in the fishing events that will be associated with the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
A quick look back at the 2020 event
The 2020 national celebrations made for a fantastic weekend of fishing on the Shropshire Union Canal. Thank you to everyone who took part and their families, and special thanks to all the Let's Fish! coaches, clubs and volunteers who helped run the event.
With thanks to players of People’s Postcode Lottery for their support and in association with the Angling Trust. Sponsored by Angling Direct, with additional support from Colmic, Guru and Reuben Heaton.
Cadet winner (age 7-10): Charlie Beetham Grainger
Full list of cadet results
Junior winner (age 11-15): Daniel Chalk
Full list of junior results
Youth winner (age 16-20): William McCranor
Full list of youth results
Junior team winners: The Gudgeon Gatherers (Daniel Chalk, Billy Pitman, Jake Checketts)
Cadet team winners: Dawley Cadets (Alfie Portman, Paighton Doodson, Regan Grice)
In association with
Last date edited: 20 July 2021