We love and care for your canals and rivers, because everyone deserves a place to escape.

We hope that you will find most of the information you need within the fishing pages of our website. But, in case you don't, we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions to help.

Rod Licences:

What is a rod licence and what does it entitle me to do?

Issued by the Environment Agency, one rod licence actually licences the use of up to two fishing rods and is required before fishing on any inland waters. This licence, however does not give you permission to fish anywhere. Permission to fish still needs to be sought from the owner of the fishing rights or the angling club that controls the fishing on that water. There is no free fishing on any Canal & River Trust owned fishery. Fishing rights not let to clubs are available to fish via purchase of a Waterway Wanderers’ permit.

Where can I purchase a rod licence from?

Rod licences are available from any post office in England and Wales, over the telephone on 0344 800 5386 and also on line at www.postoffice.co.uk/rod-fishing-licence. They must be purchased before arriving on site to fish. The maximum fine for fishing without a rod licence is £2500.

At what age do you first need to buy a rod licence?

A rod licence is required by anyone aged 12 years or over, anyone under the age of 12 doesn't require one.

Where can I go fishing with my rod licence?

The rod licence does not entitle you to fish anywhere, for that you need the permission of the owner of the fishing rights. All fishing rights in non-tidal waters are owned by someone. The Environment Agency produces both an electronic and hard copy guide to angling within each of their regions. For Canal & River Trust fisheries use the Find a Fishery search from the fisheries home page for details.

How much do coarse fishing rod licences cost?

  • Full season (expires 31st March 2016) = £27
  • Junior Concession £5.00
  • Senior Citizens Concession £18
  • Disabled Concessions £18
  • 8 day £10
  • 1 day £3.75

Fishing Locations: 

I want to fish at a particular location. What permits do I need?

All information is available at www.canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing using the Find a Fishery search box. If you are unable to find what you are looking for online, email fisheriesenquiries@canalrivertrust.org.uk or telephone 01908 302533. Please provide the name of the Waterway, nearest bridge or lock number, postcode or town. There is no free fishing on the canal network.

Where can I find out more about fishing rights not owned about the Trust?

The Angling Trust fishing information pages provides comprehensive information on a wide range of fisheries.

Where can I get a Waterway Wanderers fishing permit from?

You can get one from John Harding, who can be contacted on 01829 732748 or 07713 682379 between the hours of 5.30pm and 9pm or by email on j.harding048@btinternet.com.

Match bookings on our reservoir fisheries:

I want to book a match at a Canal & River Trust reservoir. How do I go about it?

The reservoirs currently managed by the Trust and available for match fishing are: 

  • Boddington Reservoir
  • Clattercote Reservoir
  • Drayton Reservoir
  • Naseby Reservoir
  • Earlswood Lakes
  • Blythe Waters

Season permits are available at:

  • Cadmore Lane
  • West Midlands (Includes Blythe Waters and Earlswood Lakes Engine and Windmill pools)
  • Earlswood Lakes Terry’s Pool

Contact the Bookings Office on 01582 843454 for more information.

There is also plenty of useful information on our angling page and at www.fisheries.co.uk.

How can I find out about reservoir fishing?

Please contact the onsite bailiff:

  • Naseby: Harry Bosworth - 07904 493417
  • Tring: Laurence Butters - 07939 849108
  • Blythe: Gail Hooper - 01675 443306
  • Earlswood: John Collins - 07906 798610

I’ve seen dead or gasping fish on the surface of the Water. What should I do about it?

It’s possible there has been a pollution incident and the Environment Agency deals with reports of pollutions. In the first instance contact their 24 hour hotline on 0800 80 70 60.

Fish Poaching:

There is somebody fishing with a rod and line and taking away the fish. What should I do about it?

It is an offence to take any fish away from a canal or reservoir under the 1968 Theft Act and Environment Agency Byelaws. Please telephone the Environment Agency 24 hour hotline on 0800 80 70 60 immediately.

People have been using illegal nets, what should I do?

Using any instrument other than a rod and line/pole is illegal under UK law. The Environment Agency are the organisation that police these laws and you should contact them immediately on the 24 hour hotline 0800 80 70 60.

I have come across a set line/net/trap in the canal. What should I do?

Contact the Environment Agency immediately on their 24 hour hotline 0800 80 70 60.


I am a commercial crayfish operator. Will you give me permission to set traps?

We do not normally allow crayfish trapping on its waters except for research purposes or as part of an agreed Fisheries and Angling Action Plan. For further information please email details to fisheriesenquiries@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

I am a boat owner on one of your canals. Can I put a crayfish trap in the canal?

We do not normally allow crayfish trapping on its waters except for research purposes or as part of an agreed Fisheries and Angling Action Plan. For further information please email details to fisheriesenquiries@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

I am an ecological researcher working for an academic institution or as part of a Fisheries Action Plan, can the Trust give me consent to trap crayfish?

Please email details to fisheriesenquiries@canalrivertrust.org.uk for us to consider.

Fishing from boats:

I have a Canal & River Trust boat licence, does that give me permission to fish?

No, a boat licence only gives consent to navigate and not to fish, in the same way that an angling licence gives the holder no rights of navigation.

Is it OK for me to fish off the back of my boat if it’s moored on the towing path side?

Yes, but you must agree to purchase either a day or season membership of the controlling angling club and adhere to the club rules at all times or, if there is no club controlling the fishing rights, a Waterway Wanderers’ permit. Please note however some clubs’ public liability insurances only covers fishing from the bank and may be invalid if an accident were to happen.

Can I fish from a kayak?

Yes, but you need a boat licence and permission from the controlling angling club or, if there is no club controlling the fishing rights, a Waterway Wanderers’ permit. The boat must be moored to the bank to avoid obstruction to navigation.

Canal Fishing Regulations:

Can you tell me what baits are banned in any particular area?

This information is best obtained from the controlling angling club.

Can I fish at night on the canal?

We do not ban night fishing but, on individual sections of canal, the decision as to whether to permit night fishing or not is made by the controlling angling club. Please get in touch with the local club for more infromation.

How do I find out if there is there a close season on the canal?

The old close season which ran from 15th March to 15th June inclusive has now disappeared from most canals except certain SSSI’s. The majority of the canal network is therefore open for fishing all year round. The close season still applies to rivers though. The Environment Agency are responsible for enforcing the close season regulations.

Read more about the coarse fishing close season and find a list of affected trust-owned canals and rivers

My garden is adjacent to the offside of the canal, is it OK for me to fish off my land?

Fishing rights on canals are owned by Canal & River Trust from waters’ edge to waters’ edge, therefore you will need to obtain permission from the controlling angling club. Some rivers are different and the landowners may well have riparian rights including fishing rights.

Anglers keep pushing their poles through my garden hedge, what can I do about it?

Ask them politely not to do it again. In the first instance raise the matter with the controlling angling club; usually the situation can be resolved amicably at a local level. The matter is potentially one of trespass and the police would need to be contacted.

There is a lot of fisherman’s rubbish at location X. Can you get it cleared up?

It is often difficult to determine who has deposited particular items of litter but in the first instance, if the litter is clearly emanating from angling customers, the complainant should contact the controlling angling club. General litter, fly tipping and the emptying of litter bins are a matter for the relevant waterway unit.

I don’t like anglers fishing opposite or in front of my house, can I stop them fishing there?

Canal & River Trust has a statutory legal duty to provide boating and fishing facilities. If a customer behaves unreasonably or is in breach of the law of the land (e.g. noise or urinating or defecating in a public place) then it should be reported to the local authority or police as anti-social behaviour. Otherwise, they do have a right to be there.

Can fisherman fish opposite my boat?

Yes, there is nothing to prevent angling taking place opposite moored boats but anglers should take extra care to avoid getting their bait and tackle on the boat.

There are maggots and groundbait all over my boat, what can I do about it?

In the first instance you should approach the controlling angling club as their angling customers are the most likely culprits. In the event that the controlling angling club do not respond, instances should be reported to fisheriesenquiries@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

A cyclist ran over my pole without stopping. Will the Trust reimburse me for the damage caused?

No, this is a matter between the angler and the cyclist. All cyclists should hold third party public liability insurance and, as individuals, cyclists have a duty of care to ensure they cause no damage to the equipment of angling customers.

Enquiries about disabled angling facilities

The general nature and structure of the canals and when they were built means that access for disabled and less abled can be difficult. Slowly as improvement works, in partnership with local authorities and the highways agency, are carried out, access and towpaths will be upgraded to include disabled access. Disabled facilities are available at our Blythe waters fishery site near Solihull in the West Midlands. For enquiries regarding canal access and towpath conditions for disabled anglers firstly contact the local angling club and then fisheriesenquiries@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

Other enquiries

What kinds of fish am I likely to find in my local canal?

The fishing pages of the website will soon contain detailed information and high quality images of all species present.

How can I find out about my local Fisheries & Angling Action Plan?

These will be available on the fishing pages of the website in autumn 2015. In the meantime please email fisheriesenquiries@canalrivertrust.org.uk.

Last date edited: 24 March 2016