The last canal of the commercial age, dating from 1905, the New Junction Canal is still used for its original purpose of carrying freight.
Leisure boaters can enjoy its rural surroundings and interesting bridges and aqueducts. For example, the aqueduct over the River Don has guillotine gates at either end.
First planned in 1891, work started 5 years later, and traffic began in 1905. The canal was used mainly for carrying coal. Freight traffic continues to use the canal.