The Anglesey Branch was built as a feeder in 1800 to carry water for the Wyrley & Essington Canal.
The branch, which starts at Ogley Junction, was upgraded to navigable status in 1850 as new mines opened in the area. Coal continued to be transported along the branch from Anglesey Basin until 1967. The end of this branch is the furthest north it is currently possible to travel on the Birmingham Canal Navigations.
Read more about the history of the Wryley & Essington Canal