Static letting

These are boats let out for short or long stays. Static letting may include, but is not limited to letting a room on a boat, letting a whole boat, or letting multiple rooms on a boat.

To let a boat out it must be on an existing mooring recognised by the Trust.

Key considerations

In addition to a home mooring, you will need to show you have the right to access facilities such as fresh water, sewage disposal, rubbish disposal and fuel.


If you are on a secure mooring site where access to the site is via a code or key system, you must provide evidence that the other moorers on the site are happy for you to offer the boat for static letting.

If you're hoping to secure a Waterside mooring to operate your business, please see our Waterside Mooring web pages to help with your planning.


You will need:

  • An insurance certificate that shows you are insured for your business activity     
  • A copy of your British Marine Federation Handover Audit certificate or a copy of your full Handover procedure document    
  • Proof that your mooring provider is hapy for you to operate your business from their site. Note: should this permission be withdrawn by a mooring operator we reserve the right to withdraw the licence
  • A copy of Hire Boat Safety Scheme Certificate  
  • A copy of your gas safe certificate

You can find a copy of the regulations that apply to each sector here


You will need a commercial insurance policy that provides third party and public liability cover to a value of £2m.

Boat licence

You can find our price list on our fees and terms & conditions pages or on the useful downloads at the bottom of this page.

When the business boating manager has confirmed that your operating proposal is acceptable, he/she will forward you a licence application form with the details completed for you to review and return.

Other regulations

Other regulations may apply to your business. For example, boats let out for hire must have a Gas Safe Certificate. Please read our General Guidance section and make your own independent enquiries to make sure you understand and comply with all the regulations relevant to your proposed operation. See here for further information 

Planning permission

Residential or use of a mooring for accommodation usually needs planning permission. You should contact your local planning authority (LPA) at an early stage. They can tell you if planning permission is needed for your intended use and offer guidance on preparing your application, advice on what the application will cost and how long it will take to determine. It's essential that we approve this operating proposal before it is submitted to the planning authority. If the LPA tell you planning is not needed, please provide confirmation of this within your submission.  

Boaters handbook

The Canal & River Trust and Drifters, the UK’s biggest consortium of hire boat companies, have teamed up to make a DVD covering boating basics. A companion to the existing popular boaters handbook, it contains lots of 'getting started' tips for hire boaters and new boat owners, as well as important information about how to boat safely.

You can watch the DVD on our Guide to Boating pages.

Operating proposal

Please submit an Operating Proposal if you wish to go ahead. Once we receive your proposal, we'll write and confirm receipt and aim to give you an in principle decision within six weeks. Please note that you may need to get planning permission and negotiate agreements for using our property, which could take much longer to finalise.

Do not commit financially to your proposed business before receiving our ‘in principle’ approval. 

Useful downloads

Last date edited: 19 November 2018