Montgomery Canal picks up Green Flag
The Montgomery Canal has this week gained a Green Flag Award in recognition of its outstanding rural beauty, diverse wildlife and the enthusiastic commitment of volunteers.
An eight mile navigable stretch of the canal in Shropshire, from Frankton Locks, near Ellesmere, to Maesbury Marsh, has been officially recognised as a high quality green space.
Known and enjoyed locally as a peaceful waterway haven away from the bustle of modern life, the canal and towpath are managed by the us with the support of an army of volunteers, including the Shropshire Union Canal Society, the Shropshire Paddlesport and Frankton Locks adoption groups and another half dozen smaller volunteer groups.
The Montgomery joins 12 other Canal & River Trust sites to be recognised by the scheme, which is promoted by Keep Britain Tidy.
Duncan Davenport, from the Trust, said: "We know that canals improve the wellbeing of those who visit and we’re thrilled the Montgomery Canal has been recognised with a Green Flag Award. This highlights how important this waterway is for both the local community and visitors. In particular the judges commended our amazing army of volunteers and the canal’s rural beauty and rich biodiversity.
"Everyone who volunteers or donates is helping to make our waterways such special places where people can come to boost their wellbeing, so we thank them all for their continued support."
International Green Flag Award scheme manager Paul Todd added: "We are delighted to be celebrating another record-breaking year for the Green Flag Award scheme, with more green flags awarded this year than last year.
"Each flag honours the thousands of staff and volunteers who work tirelessly to maintain the high standards demanded by the Green Flag Award. We are proud to have so many wonderful green spaces in the UK for people to enjoy, and hope that next year, we award even more flags."
All Canal & River Trust Green Flag Awards 2018:
- 19 miles of the Lancaster Canal from Bilsborrow to the Lune Aqueduct
- 30 miles of the Chesterfield Canal from Kiveton Park to West Stockwith
- 8 miles of the Montgomery Canal
- All 9 ½ miles of the Pocklington Canal
- All 2 ½ miles of the Ripon Canal
- 14 ½ miles of the Bridgwater & Taunton Canal
Existing Canal & River Trust Green Flag Awards from previous years:
- 4 miles of the River Lee Navigation in London
- 14 miles of the SSSI section of the Chesterfield Canal from Stockwith to Retford
- 22 miles of the Shropshire Union Canal from Middlewich to Audlem
- 12 miles of the Peak Forest Canal in the Peak District
- All 26 miles of the Macclesfield Canal
- All 87 miles of the Kennet & Avon Canal
- Marple Aqueduct and Marple Lock Flight – Green Heritage Award