Read the story of how the Canal & River Trust came to be
Work for us
We have vacancies across all of our waterways and in the offices, museums and attractions that support them. We're one of the UK's biggest charities and we take pride in everything we do
If you're thinking of getting in touch then please take a moment to look through these pages as we probably have the answer on our website
Planning & design
All you need to know about planning and design on our canals and rivers
Find a winter mooring
Find a cosy section of canal to hunker down in this winter
10 reasons to take up canoeing
It's a great way to get fit and explore our waterways at the same time
Share the Space
Take a look at our common sense guide to sharing the towpath
Find a place to fish
From reservoirs to club-managed canals and river stretches - find your nearest place to fish
Get your free guide
Download your free guide today and start exploring the waterway nature near you
Download your free guides
You've nine free days out guides to choose from - where will you go first?
Find a walk near you
Are you ready to ramble? Find a waterside stroll or a satisfying hike along our beautiful canals and rivers
Take a look at our upcoming events here.
Find your favourite waterway
With over 95 canals, rivers, reservoirs, docks and navigations, find out more about your favourite waterway
Something for everyone
Help us make a difference and have fun along the way. Find your perfect volunteer role today
Join our team
Could you join your local Towpath Taskforce team and help us to keep our canals looking lovely?
Desmond Family Canoe Trail
If you're aged 16-25 and would like to get involved with this exciting project, please get in touch
Could you be a volunteer lock keeper?
Find out what's involved with this popular volunteering opportunity
We love and care for your canals and rivers, because everyone deserves a place to escape.
An independent panel of experts, led by Christopher Rodrigues CBE, has selected its finalists for the 2015 Living Waterways Awards.
Launched by the Canal & River Trust in January, the Living Waterways Awards seek to recognise the most inspiring and exciting waterway-based improvement projects across the UK.
Tony Hales, chair of the Canal & River Trust, explains: “The Living Waterways Awards celebrate the individuals, communities and organisations that have done the most to make a difference to the nation’s rivers, canals, lochs, lakes, reservoirs and docks, making them exciting places to live, learn and spend time.
“After a series of visits and assessments, which saw the expert judges travel from Sandwich to Enniskillen and from Glasgow to Devon, we are thrilled to announce the shortlist of finalists.”
From exciting events and inspirational sculptures, to innovative education projects and pioneering environmental initiatives, finalists are listed under seven award categories:
1. Art & Interpretation: The Helix, Falkirk/Grangemouth; and Monkland Canal, Glasgow.
2. Contribution to the Built Environment: Postle’s Bridge, Pontcysyllte Aqueduct; and Sandwich Town Tidal Defence Scheme.
3. Community & Volunteering: Greening the Regent’s Canal, London; and Row the Erne, Enniskillen.
4. Education & Learning: Canal College, Falkirk & Edinburgh; Dewsbury Waterlinked, Dewsbury Arm of the Calder & Hebble Navigation; Pewsham Locks Centenary Celebrations, Wilts & Berks Canal; and The Kennet Project, Leeds & Liverpool Canal.
5. Natural Environment: Duck Broads Reed Bed Restoration, Norfolk; Inland Waterways Association Himalayan Balsam Campaign; River Tale Restoration, Ottery St Mary; and Wolvercote Lakes, Oxford.
6. Recreation & Tourism: Leeds Waterfront Festival; and Pinkston Watersports, Glasgow.
7. Restoration & Historic Environment: Cotswold Canals Restoration, Stroud; Lichfield Canal Heritage Towpath Trail; and Sutton Weaver Swing Bridge, Cheshire.
The winners of the 2015 Living Waterways Awards, which are sponsored by Keir, CPC Civils, Fountains and Hyder Consulting, will be announced at a ceremony in October.
Try canal boating at Drifters national open day
22 March 2018
Heritage transport plaque awarded to Froghall Basin on Caldon Canal
'Plasberg' eyesore removed from River Aire
Local people sought to help care for the Grantham Canal
20 March 2018
Canal & River Trust brand
19 March 2018
Bookings now open for 2018 Canal Pairs Championship
Breach of the Middlewich Branch, Shropshire Union Canal
16 March 2018
15 March 2018