This £25,000 ‘Impact Award' has been awarded by the charity lottery to encourage the supported charities to improve the practice of impact assessment, helping charities grow, develop and assess their own impact on society.
The Canal & River Trust has so far received an amazing £450,000 from players of the People's Postcode Lottery. Examples of projects supported include:
- Community Roots – two community leaders are working across Huddersfield, Rochdale and Birmingham to deliver environmental and community engagement programmes across the Rochdale Canal, Huddersfield Narrow Canal and Birmingham Heartlands Linear Park.
- National Hedgerow Campaign – 20 volunteer leaders were recruited and 50 additional volunteers to support hedge laying and improvement projects which has included 10 hedge laying training events
- Pilot Sport Participation Programme – by working with Young Carers, Scouts and disadvantaged communities, 500 people have participated for free in canal side sport such as canoeing, cycling, running and paddle boarding
- Stratford to Stratford – an ambitious youth arts programme saw 25 disadvantaged young people aged 16-25 years old learn all about the wonders of the canals combined with Shakespeare, culminating in a performance of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' at the Stratford River Festival.
- Restoration of Tringford Pumping Station – a project to repair the pump and the building housing it to create a visitor discovery centre and engage with the local community, schools and visitors to learn more about the area.