Illegal fishing targeted at Market Drayton
A fishing club has come up with its own solution to stop illegal fishing at Market Drayton Marina on the Shropshire Union Canal.
We own the rights to fish at this location. However, illegal fishing around the canal side marina has been a constant problem, causing conflict between fisherman, boat owners and local residents
Now Hodnet Angling Club is to provide its own water keepers to deter illegal fishing in exchange for limited fishing rights opposite the marina.
As part of the agreement, a water keeper from the angling club will visit the marina daily to ensure that the rules are being adhered to.
Our national fisheries and angling manager John Ellis said: “This is a fantastic example of the Canal & River Trust and a customer angling club coming together for their mutual benefit.
“We have agreed limited fishing rights which will be upheld by the angling club’s own water keepers. This is a win win for the Canal & River Trust and the angling club.”
“Previously fishing was completely banned opposite the marina and the Canal & River Trust had to invest time and money to ensure that the ban was upheld. This meant that money previously spent enforcing the ban can now be spent on maintaining the canal network.
Head water keeper for Hodnet Angling Club, David Watkins adds: “Under the terms of our agreement, the water is to be visited by our water keepers daily, some special rules must be observed – the club’s reputation and membership depends upon compliance.
“Anyone found breaking the rules will be asked to vacate the water immediately by the water keeper and be subject to disciplinary action by the angling club.”
The special rules are:
- No day tickets available
- Fishing from towpath bank only
- No fishing is allowed opposite the small marina
- Fishing is only allowed opposite the big canal side marina from 1 October – 31 March
- When fishing opposite the marina casting tackle and placing bait adjacent to the boat moorings is only allowed as far as the end of the boat landing platforms
- Under no circumstances are poles or fishing equipment to be fed through garden hedges or slide along fences