Bookings now open for 2018 Canal Pairs Championship
Bookings are now being taken for Britain’s biggest canal angling competition, the 2018 Canal Pairs Championship.
Organised by us in partnership with the Angling Trust, the Championship’s regional qualifying heats are being held in Wales, Scotland and Ireland as well as 13 heats across England.
Click below to enter your nearest heat now
- Saturday 23 June – Shropshire Union Canal, Soudley, Hodnet Angling Club
- Sunday 24 June – Gloucester & Sharpness Canal
- Sunday 15 July – Edenderry Grand Canal, Offely
- Saturday 21 July – Forth & Clyde Canal
- Sunday 22 July – Grand Union Canal, Blaby, Glen Parva & South Wigston Wigston AS
- Saturday 28 July - Shropshire Union Canal, Shebdon, Hodnet Angling Club
- Saturday 4 August – Rochdale Canal, Todmorden, Todmorden Angling Society
- Sunday 5 August – Grand Union Canal, Luton Angling Club and The Tring Anglers
- Sunday 12 August – Grand Union Canal, Foxton, Wellingborough and District Nene Angling Club
- Sunday 2 September – Grand Union Canal, Loughborough, Quorn Angling Society
- Sunday 9 September – Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Wigan, Wigan District Angling Association
- Saturday 22 September – Trent & Mersey Canal, Rugeley, Coors Angling Club
- Sunday 23 September - Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal, Penkridge, Wolverhampton Angling Association
- Saturday 29 September – Llangollen Canal, Whixall, Hodnet Angling Club
- Saturday 29 September – Kennet & Avon Canal, Devizes, Devizes Angling Club
- Sunday 30 September - Aire & Calder Canal, Altofts, Mirfield Angling Club
Grand final Saturday 20 October 2018
Competitors will score points based on the weight of fish they catch with up to six pairs in each heat - dependent on entries per heat - going through to the grand final on Saturday 20 October 2018. The final will be held at Stafford with pegs on both the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal and Trent & Mersey Canal. The National Junior Canal Championship will also take place on the same day on the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal.
Applications for tickets are now open via the Angling Trust’s online booking system Angling Trust Events at a cost of £40 per pair per qualifier.
The potential grand final prize pot is £16,000, dependent on all sixteen heats selling out – with the prize money split between the top four pairs.
John Ellis, national fisheries and angling manager for the Canal & River Trust said: "The 2018 Canal Pairs Championship promises to be a fantastic event and we’re expecting a lot of interest.
"Our canals offer some fantastic angling and are on the doorstep for many people so it’s no wonder that the championship is growing in popularity. We’d urge anyone interested in taking part to book their tickets as early as possible."
David Kent Director of the Angling Trust, said; "I have seen this Championship grow year on year to arguably become the top canal event on the calendar. A definite go-to for canal anglers anywhere."
National Junior Canal Championship
To find out more about the Canal Pairs Championships and for booking, go to Angling Trust