Following the success of the 2016 event and with the promise of a star studded final line up on the Staffordshire & Worcester Canal on October 29th, the Trust in partnership with Angling Trust is now asking angling clubs to put forward suggestions for the 2017 event.
The championship will consist of the following qualifying heats:
- one in each of the Canal & River Trust's 10 regions
- one in the run up to both the Angling Trust's Division One and Division Two nationals.
- one on a Welsh canal.
- one on an Irish canal.
- one on a Scottish canal.
- one on a canal not owned or operated by the Canal & River Trust.
There are certain criteria which must be met before a venue can host a qualifying event:
- availability of 100 pegs split into two sections of 50
- amatch headquarters that can be used pre and post-match including for food availability and has adequate car parking facilities.
- good car parking and towing path access.
- a non-fishing event organiser who takes total responsibility for advance promotion and organisation on the day (Canal & River Trust or Angling Trust officers will not normally be present at the qualifiers)
- four teams of weigh in stewards.
Qualifiers may be held on either a Saturday or Sunday between Saturday July 1 and Sunday October 8 2017 with the final being held on Saturday 21 or 28 October 2017.
John Ellis, national fisheries and angling manager for the Canal & River Trust, said: "This year's competition has generated plenty of interest amongst match anglers with attendances up on 2015. We would encourage clubs wishing to host a qualifier to get their applications in and welcome neighbouring clubs working together to put in a joint bid."
David Kent, National Chair of Competitions at the Angling Trust, said; “Success breeds success and the growing interest in this competition suggests that is right. There are very few top quality national canal-only and, indeed, pairs events anywhere in the angling calendar so this Championship provides a golden opportunity for anglers to compete not only on their local water but also against some of the best anglers around."
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 2 November 2016. Clubs must use the application form and return by email to [email protected]. Successful applicants will be notified around the middle of November.