The canal pairs championships are organised in partnership between the Canal & River Trust and Angling Trust, with sponsorship from Dynamite Baits. With the 2020 regional qualifying heats announced, find out more about below.
Organised in partnership between the Canal & River Trust and the Angling Trust with sponsorship from Dynamite Baits, the championship sees regional qualifying heats cross England with further heats in Wales, Ireland and Scotland.
Qualifying heats canal pairs 2020
- Sunday 10 May Moira Canal, Furnace & Donnesthorpe sections David Max 26 pairs
- Saturday 16 May Grand Union Canal, Foxton Peter Laughton.
- Sunday 24 May Shropshire Union Canal, Soudley Dave Watkins & Terry Nutt
- Sunday 31 May Grand Canal, Offely (Ireland heat) Geoff Quinn
- Sunday 31 May Staffordshire & Worcester Canal, Wombourne Paul Turner
- Saturday 6 June Kennet & Avon Canal, Hungerford John Williams
- Sunday 7 June Gloucester & Sharpness Caanl, Mark Treasure
- Saturday 13 June Stainforth & Keadby Canal, Mike Storey
- Sunday 14 June Shropshire Union Canal, Pendeford Paul Turner
- Sunday June 21 Coventry Canal, Coventry. Dave Allibone
- Sunday June 28 Bugbrooke Birds Haulage Chris Howard (unlimited numbers)
- Sunday July 19 Bugbrooke Banbury Lane Chris Howard (unlimited numbers)
- Sunday 2 August Dudley Canal, Steve Robson
- Saturday 8 August Forth & Clyde Canal, Scotland heat. Gus Brindle
- Sunday 23 August Tring Aylesbury Arm. Dick Pilkinton
- Sunday 30 August Shropshire Union Canal, Dave Watkins & Terry Nutt
- Saturday 5 September Gloucester & Sharpness Canal, Mark Treasure (Unlimited numbers)
- Sunday 13 September Lancaster Canal. Mike Wilson
- Saturday 19 September Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Saltaire Richard East
- Sunday 20 September Grand Union Loughborough. Geoff Quinn/Joff Woodgett
- Saturday 26 September Trent & Mersey Canal, Rugeley Alan Round/Tony Vandome
- Sunday 27 September Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal, (South Wales heat) Iain Swanson
- Saturday 3 October Trent & Mersey Canal, Middlewich Neil Latham* (unlimited numbers)
- Saturday 3 October Kennet & Avon Canal, Pewsey, Alan McColm
- Sunday 4 October. Llangollen Canal, Fenns Bank. (North Wales heat) Dave Watkins & Terry Nutt
Note: Division 1 National Saturday 15 August. Grand Union Canal and Division 2 National Saturday 12 September. Gloucester & Sharpness Canal
Canal pairs championship 2020 grand final
Saturday 24 October, Trent & Mersey Canal, Middlewich & Wheelock areas. Neil Latham.
Number of qualifiers from each heat
|Number of pairs entering qualifier
||Numbers going through to final
|Less than 8 pairs
||11 maximum regardless of numbers of pairs competing
- Minimum qualifying heat size of 8 pairs
- Maximum entry 50 pairs unless stated
- Qualifiers ahead of Division 1 & Division 2 nationals may have unlimited number of pairs as will the qualifier at Middlewich (which is a practice opportunity for those who have qualified at that stage)
Where less than 50 pairs can enter due to size of venue, maximum number listed.