A uniquely curved building
The Grade II * listed building had stood quietly for 140 years as the city developed around it and was on Historic England's “at risk” register.
Originally designed and built in 1874 by Birmingham based architect W.H. Ward as stabling and stores for the Public Works Department and as part of a massive city improvement plan.
Imagine 40 or more horses delivering stone, lamplighters, who would take their carts and horses out to light the streets of Ladywood and the nightsoil brought from the city to be sent out via the canal to city allotments and farms. It's position tucked next to the Birmingham Old Mainline Canal close to the City centre meant area acted as a wharf and was at the industrial heart of the city.