Vote for your favourite Green Flag canal
Nearly 250 miles of our canals and rivers have been awarded prestigious Green Flag status by judges from Keep Britain Tidy, and now it’s your turn to vote for your favourite.
The Green Flag People’s Choice Award has been launched, giving members of the public the chance to vote for their favourite Green Flag site. Most of the 1,883 spaces given Green Flag status this year are grassy parks, so we are calling on people to vote for one of our spaces to help show that life is better by water.
Earlier this summer, several stretches of canal gained a Green Flag Award, click on your favourite Green Flag canal below to vote for your favourite:
- 19 miles of the Lancaster Canal from Bilsborrow to the Lune Aqueduct
- 30 miles of the Chesterfield Canal from Kiveton Park to West Stockwith
- 8 miles of the Montgomery Canal
- All 9 ½ miles of the Pocklington Canal
- All 2 ½ miles of the Ripon Canal
- 14 ½ miles of the Bridgwater & Taunton Canal
- 1 mile of the Regent’s Canal between Limehouse Basin and Mile End Road – Lower Regents Coalition
They joined existing Green Flag canal sites:
- 4 miles of the River Lee Navigation in London
- 14 miles of the SSSI section of the Chesterfield Canal from Stockwith to Retford
- 22 miles of the Shropshire Union Canal from Middlewich to Audlem
- 12 miles of the Peak Forest Canal in the Peak District
- All 26 miles of the Macclesfield Canal
- All 87 miles of the Kennet & Avon Canal
- All 5 miles of the Swansea Canal - Swansea Canal Society
- Marple Aqueduct and Marple Lock Flight – Green Heritage Award
Jon Horsfall, head of customer services at the Trust, said: "Most Green Flag sites are parks, but we have shown that waterside public spaces are just as beneficial to our health and wellbeing as grassy ones. We’d love to see a canal Green Flag site make the People’s Choice top 10, so please cast your vote and spread the word"
Voting is open from 1 to 30 September and the top 10 People’s Choice sites will be announced on 16 October.
Don’t forget to share why you love your local canal on social media, using #lifesbetterbywater and #PeoplesChoice.