NWME Museum Guide - National Waterways Museum, Ellesmere Port
Activities: Interpretation & Promotion
Starts: 1 November 2021 to 31 December 2024
Ellesmere Port, Shropshire Union Canal,
The National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port has a fantastic collection of boats, buildings, outdoor spaces and much more. We welcome thousands of visitors to the museum each year and are looking to expand on our existing team of guides.
We are looking for people that love speaking to people, to help us engage with our visitors and tell them all about the history of the site and waterways at Ellesmere Port and beyond.
Previous experience is not required, just a willingness to engage with the public and tell them all about the history of the waterways.
This is an ongoing role, although we aim to be as flexible as possible with the time that you can give. Our busy periods are holidays.
With its dramatic location on the banks of the Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal in Cheshire, extensive in-door displays, boat trips and historic buildings, the museum is a great place to volunteer, where time slows down and history comes to life.
What's in it for you?
As a volunteer with the Canal & River Trust you will be making a massive contribution to the charity, often carrying out activities we would otherwise not be able to do. Things that you can get from this volunteering include, the chance to do something new and different.
Raise your existing skill base and acquire new skills
keep active, fit and motivated
help care for a wonderful nationally important collection
gain invaluable experience, great for your CV and employment prospects.
You will receive out of pocket expenses. Any equipment required will be supplied.
What skills are we looking for?
Previous experience of dealing with the public is an advantage but not essential. This role is principally about helping us to ensure that we give our visitors a memorable experience at the Museum.
• Good presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
• Willing to commit your available time to meet the demands of the service and be flexible in time commitment to complete the job.
• Able to follow instructions and work closely to tour group timings.
• Willing to learn new skills and techniques.
• Able to work individually and as part of a team.
• Be willing to assist with other Front of House duties when requested.
• Fit enough to carry out required duties effectively across the whole site.
• Be willing to carry out duties in inclement weather.