Activities: Environment, Other specialist roles, Regularly
Birmingham, Birmingham Canal Navigcations, West Midlands
Our canals and rivers support some of the UK’s most important wildlife. The unique and beautiful environment of our waterways is without doubt a key part of what makes them very special places to visit.
Could you help us protect these special places? We are seeking a cheerful and personable volunteer Assistant Ecologist within the Midlands Environment Team. Commencing this summer (dates to be confirmed), the placement will be for a minimum period of 12 weeks, finishing when the successful candidate secures paid employment or perhaps pursues further studies. The opportunity is offered on a part-time, 2-3 days/week professional placement.
This role will be based at our central Birmingham office, but will involve regular travel to other offices and canals and waterways across the Midlands and South West. Basic travel and out of pocket expenses can be covered during this placement, please note that this is not a salaried role.
This is a great chance to get work experience in the environment sector - please note that there is a balance between office and site work.
- Good understanding of ecological issues with enthusiasm/passion for the subject – along with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and the confidence to interact with the team, the wider Trust and outside organisations
- You will have good research, data management and writing skills, along with Word, Excel and other IT skills
- Good time management skills to be able to work in a fast paced, sometimes unstructured environment and respond well to a changing and challenging set of requirements and responsibilities
- Commitment to continual personal development, working towards protected species licences and improving all ecological skills
- Previous experience or understanding of ecological surveying is desirable
- Driving licence or access to reliable & regular transport is desirable