Activities: Education, Education volunteers
Abergavenny, Monmouth & Brecon Canal, Monmouthshire, NP7 9EW
Our established and friendly group of education volunteers based on the Monmouth & Brecon canal have already lead workshops and walks along the towpath for primary schools to look at the wildife and history of this beautiful canal. They have also organised family activities at waterside events. We would like to expand the group so we can offer activities to more schools particularly in rural locations outside Abergavenny and at Goytre Wharf. If you like working with children and enjoy being outdoors in this beautiful location - whatever the weather - then please get in touch. We are looking for people who can volunteer flexibly and respond to school and informal group requests as required and who can commit to at least 3 or 4 days a month normally from about 9am - 3.30pm. We try and give you at least 2 weeks’ notice of a visit.
We give you full training and provide resources for leading groups of children through a number of training days and team meetings. You will have the support of an education officer as well as the other volunteers in your team. We reimburse you for all travel costs.
For roles working with children we are looking for volunteers who have
• Previous experience of working with young children or a strong desire to gain experience in this area
• The desire to work outdoors
• The confidence to talk to, and lead workshops with, groups of children
• The ability to enthuse young people through talks and activities
• The ability to volunteer flexibly
• The ability to drive to different locations particularly in rural areas
• The ability to work independently