Unlocking Hidden Stories Museum & Collections Volunteer
Activities: Heritage, Administration and support, Interpretation and Promotion
Starts: 4 July 2022 to 18 May 2024
National Waterways Museum Gloucester
Unlocking Hidden Stories delves deep into the diverse range of objects in the Canal & River Trust collection. The Trust cares for over 15,000 objects cross its museums and attractions, representing the most comprehensive history of inland waterways in the UK, and the largest in the world.
Each object in the collection has a story to tell, Unlocking Hidden Stories captures and records the intangible heritage and unknown stories connected to the objects in the collection, as well as capturing people’s intellectual and emotional response to these objects.
• Volunteering with the Collections Team to support and administer Unlocking Hidden Stories including identifying opportunities of capturing stories and highlighting key items in our collection. This will include regular meetings with the Collections Team.
• Monitoring the project inbox, answering project enquiries.
• Working with marketing and comms teams to create content for the project webpage and social media to encourage staff, volunteers and visitors to participate in the project by submitting stories about objects in the collection.
• Edit interview audio files.
• Produce content for project blog, internal comms and other relevant newsletters.
• Seek opportunities to tour the Unlocking Hidden Stories travel display case to Trust museums, venues and attractions – as well as external events including Boat Rally’s and Festivals.
What's in it for you?
Volunteering as part of a team, meeting new people. Learning about the history and stories of the waterways.
What skills are we looking for?
This role would suit somebody who is interested in discovering new historical stories of the waterways.
Ideally volunteering for 1 day a week.
You will need good IT skills and be a good communicator.
Object photography skills would be an advantage, although training will be provided.