Explorers Education Volunteer - West London
Activities: Education, Explorer Education
Locations across London
If you enjoy working with children and want to inspire them to learn about our local heritage, wildlife and landscape, join our team of Explorer Education Volunteers based in West London.
We host school and group visits to the waterside, broadening learning through hands-on activities, workshops and events. We also deliver within schools, providing resource-rich learning opportunities.
You will need to be able to volunteer flexibly to respond to group requests, committing to at least 3 or 4 days a month (usually between 9am – 3.30pm with at least two weeks' notice). We mainly work with schools along the Grand Union and Paddington Arm of the canal, hosting guided tours at Brentford Lock and Hawell Locks.
What's in it for you?
The opportunity to learn more about waterway heritage and wildlife; use your skills and learn new ones; be in an attractive environment; meet new people and of course, inspire children!
We give you full training and provide resources for leading groups of children, with a number of training days and team meetings. You will have the support of an Learning & Skills Co-ordinator as well as the other volunteers in your team. We reimburse you for all travel costs.
What skills are we looking for?
• Previous experience of hands-on learning with children, or a strong desire to gain experience in this area.
• The ability to enthuse young people through talks and activities.
• The ability to volunteer flexibly, particularly during school term times, and to work within a team.
• The education landscape and Covid-19 situation continues to change, so the role will have to adapt to these circumstances. We seek applicants who are happy to train and be ready for the engagement opportunities that arise as lockdown eases.
• This role involves regulated activity with children and adults at risk, as defined by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Therefore, an Enhanced Criminal Record check will be undertaken and references will be sought. A criminal record is not necessarily a bar to volunteering with us.