Activities: Education, Explorer Education
Starts: 16 April 2021 to 31 March 2022
National Waterways Museum, Gloucester Llanthony Warehouse Gloucester Docks
We are looking for volunteers who love working with children and would like to encourage them to explore our canals and rivers – at our museums and attractions, in schools, on the towpath, through our website or at waterside events. We are looking for people who can volunteer flexibly and respond to school and informal group requests as required and who can commit to at least 3 or 4 days a month. We try and give you at least 2 weeks’ notice of a visit. Sometimes several sessions will take place in one school or at the Museum in a day, normally from about 9:30am – 2.30pm.
We give you full training and provide resources for leading groups of children through a number of training days and team meetings. You will have the support of a Learning and Skills Officer as well as the other volunteers in your team. We reimburse you for all travel costs.
For roles working with children we are looking for volunteers who have
• Previous experience of working with young children or a strong desire to gain experience in this area
• The desire to work in a variety of environments, including outdoors
• The confidence to talk to, and lead workshops with groups of children
• The ability to enthuse young people through talks and activities
• The ability to volunteer flexibly
• The ability to drive to different locations particularly in rural areas
For office support roles we are looking for volunteers who have
• Knowledge of Microsoft office packages such as word and excel
• The ability to work independently
This role involves regulated activity with children and adults at risk, as defined by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. Therefore, an Enhanced Criminal Record check will be undertaken and references will be sought. A criminal record is not always a bar to volunteering with us.