This opportunity offers a fantastic chance to create a legacy of improved wellbeing with canals playing an integral part in people’s everyday lives.
This role will support our Let’s Programme of wellbeing activities. Our activity programme reaches out to communities enabling them to benefit from the green and blue space. We provide free activities and taster sessions. Volunteers are needed for weekdays and weekend events.
This will involve handling a variety of tasks, both planned and reactive within your local team and could include:
• Being an advocate for the Canal & River Trust both locally and nationally by engaging with canal users.
• Supporting our team to deliver practical activities on the canal.
• Leading wellbeing activities, such as walks, bike rides and activities on the water.
• Helping our teams deliver high profile events.
• Working with communities to have a positive experience on the canal in a variety of ways.
What skills are we looking for?
The role will suit people who have a friendly enthusiastic manner and enjoy working outdoors. Prior experience or qualifications in leading activities isn’t essential, but if you have any it would be great to hear about how you can work with the trust to use these on the canals.
Ideally you will have a hands-on approach, a can-do attitude and work well with others. We are looking for volunteers that are confident chatting with the public and working with people from all backgrounds.
As a Canal Enabler you will have a responsible attitude to health and safety and be happy leading activities outdoors with other people.
• Good organisational skills
• Good communicator
• Team worker
• Happy engaging with the general public
• Enthusiastic & reliable
• Happy to be outdoors
• Perry Barr
• Birmingham – Various locations
What will you get from us?
This is a great opportunity to be active outdoors whilst also learning new skills and meeting new people. You will be volunteering for a charity that is committed to making a difference locally, giving people from the community opportunities to enjoy the urban waterways on their doorstep.
It is proven that being by water makes you happier and healthier, we hope this role will allow you to both increase your own wellbeing as well as encouraging others to improve theirs.
There will be an opportunity to gain relevant training and instruction will be given in the variety of tasks undertaken.
• Enhanced Brand awareness from visitors to our canals.
• Community ownership of their local canal.
• Increased perception that canals are safe places to visit.