Activities: Other specialist roles
Closing Date: 28 June 2018
Millions of people visit the canals every year, and water is the lifeblood of the canals and rivers. Without a reliable water supply and careful management of water levels, the canals and rivers simply couldn’t provide the wonderful amenity and environment we all enjoy.
But canals aren't only for boating, the rich wildlife and diverse ecology that thrives on the waterways relies on water too. It’s a complex and continuous task to ensure we have enough water, at the right time and in the right place. Welcome to the world of water management.
The Trust is pleased to offer an exciting opportunity for a Volunteer Assistant to the Water Management team. This role will be based at our Hatton office, close to Warwick, with the possibility of some site visits to our canals and rivers. Volunteering alongside our Senior Hydrologist, this is an excellent opportunity to gain work experience under supervision and would be an interesting role for anyone training in the earth sciences.
More detailed information on the role is available on request, and you can find out more about the work of the team on our website. Please note that as a voluntary role, we are unable to offer this placement as a salaried role, but we can cover travel and reasonable out-of-pocket expenses. There is an opportunity for site work on this placement.
The placement will be available for a minimum period of 36 weeks and is being offered for 3 days per week. There may be some flexibility regarding the start/end date of the placement to suit the successful candidate.
Candidates will be short listed from an expression of interest and submission of a CV and be invited to interview at our offices in Hatton.
• Basic training in earth sciences
• Good research and data management skills
• Good time management skills
• Willing to work both in the outdoors and also in an office environment
• Adaptable, able to respond well to changing requirements
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Competent user of software applications, particularly Word and Excel
• Willingness to travel to sites as required, using public transport if necessary (we may also be able to assist with transport)