Activities: Administration, Customer service
Ellesmere Port, Shropshire Union Canal, the Wirral
We are looking for enthusiastic and confident individuals to join our Costumed Interpretation volunteer team to help bring to life the stories of Porter's Row and other parts of the museum including the Slipway.
As a costumed interpreter you will be part of a team where your role will be to engage with visitors wearing historic costume. You will be providing visitors with an insight into the workings of the slipway and its adjoining workshops allowing them to envision the busy nature of this working environment or the lives of those living in Porter's Row. You will be provided with a previously researched character but will have the opportunity to delve deeper into your character’s personal history.
• A chance to meet new people and work within a dynamic team
• The chance to improve your communication skills.
• The ability to learn more about the history of Ellesmere Port’s inland dock system and its social history.
• The opportunity to work closely with the public and enable them to learn more about their heritage.
• A reference when you have been volunteering with us regularly for 3-6 months.
No prior experience is needed. We will provide you with all of the training and information you need. We are looking for people who:
• Have a friendly and enthusiastic personality and enjoy working with other people.
• Confidence to engage with visitors and lead on tours of the slipway and other parts of the museum.
• Willing to learn new skills and help with demonstrations.
• An interest in learning about the history of the site and technical aspects of the slipway. A willingness to share this knowledge with others.
• Willing to undertake training as part of the role.
• To be enthusiastic about working with our visitors of all ages and backgrounds.