Activities: Education volunteers
West London, Grand Union Canal, London
We are looking for volunteers to join this new group of education volunteers based in Brentford. The role involves visiting primary schools to lead workshops about canal history and leading walks along the towpath at various locations in West London. This is a fantastic opportunity for people who have experience of working with children and enjoy working outside enthusing young people about the wildlife and heritage of the canal in a very urban setting. We are looking for people who can volunteer flexibly and respond to school and informal group requests as required and who can commit to at least 3 or 4 days a month normally between 9am and 3.30pm. We try and give you at least 2 weeks’ notice of a visit.
We give you full training and provide resources for leading groups of children through a number of training days and team meetings. You will have the support of an education officer as well as the other volunteers in your team. We reimburse you for all travel costs.
For roles working with children we are looking for volunteers who have
• Previous experience of working with young children or a strong desire to gain experience in this area
• The desire to work outdoors
• The confidence to talk to, and lead workshops with, groups of children
• The ability to enthuse young people through talks and activities
• The ability to volunteer flexibly
• The ability to drive to different locations is desirable but not essential
• The ability to work independently