Activities: Education, Education volunteers
Brecon, Monmouth & Brecon Canal, Monmouthshire, LD3 7EW
Our established and friendly group of education volunteers based in South Wales, close to Brecon have already lead workshops and walks along the towpath for primary schools to look at the wildife and history of the Monmouth & Brecon Canal and have recently introduced STEM activities. We work in partnership with the Brecknock Museum & Art Gallery to run a summer schools' week. We would like to expand the group so we can offer activities to more schools around Brecon. If you like working with children and enjoy being outdoors in this beautiful location - whatever the weather - then please get in touch. We are looking for people who can volunteer flexibly and respond to school and informal group requests as required and who can commit to at least 3 or 4 days a month normally from about 9am - 3.30pm. We try and give you at least 2 weeks’ notice of a visit.
We give you full training and provide resources for leading groups of children with a number of training days and team meetings. You will have the support of an education officer as well as the other volunteers in your team. We reimburse you for all travel costs.
For roles working with children we are looking for volunteers who have
• Previous experience of working with young children or a strong desire to gain experience in this area
• The desire to work outdoors
• The confidence to talk to, and lead workshops with, groups of children
• The ability to enthuse young people through talks and activities
• The ability to volunteer flexibly
• The ability to drive to different locations particularly in rural areas
• The ability to work independently
This volunteering opportunity is run in partnership with Eliza Botham. Visit their website to find out more and make contact at: http://www.powys.gov.uk/en/museums/visit-your-local-museum/brecknock-museum-art-gallery/