Explorers Education Volunteer - Devizes, Wiltshire
Activities: Education, Explorer Education
Starts: 16 October 2017 to 31 March 2023
Devizes, Kennet & Avon Canal, Wiltshire
We are looking for volunteers to join our team of education volunteers based in Devizes who already lead visits to the Canal Museum and walks along the towpath for primary schools as well as leading water safety activities for schools and groups. We are looking for new volunteers to join this group so we can expand our activities particularly in the famous setting of Caen Hill Locks. If you love working with children and enjoy being outdoors then get in touch. You need to be able to volunteer flexibly and respond to school and informal group requests as required and commit to at least 3 or 4 days a month normally between 9am and 3.30pm. We try and give you at least 2 weeks’ notice of a visit.
What's in it for you?
We give you full training and provide resources for leading groups of children with a number of training days and team meetings. You will have the support of an education officer as well as the other volunteers in your team. We reimburse you for all travel costs.
What skills are we looking for?
For roles working with children we are looking for volunteers who have
• Previous experience of working with young children or a strong desire to gain experience in this area
• The desire to work outdoors
• The confidence to talk to, and lead workshops with, groups of children
• The ability to enthuse young people through talks and activities
• The ability to volunteer flexibly
• The ability to drive to different locations particularly in rural areas
For office support roles we are looking for volunteers who have
• Knowledge of Microsoft office packages such as word and excel
• Some experience of data handling or Adobe illustrator is desirable but not essential
• The ability to work independently