Following the success of the Dynamite Bait sponsored 2018 event and with the promise of a star-studded final line up on the Staffs & Worcester Canal on Saturday October 20, the Trust in partnership with Angling Trust is now asking angling clubs to put forward canal venues suggestions for the 2019 qualifiers.
The championship will consist of at least 16 qualifying heats:
- One or more heats in each of the Canal & River Trust's six new regional management units.
- Two heats on each of the canal venues where the 2019 Division One and Division Two nationals are being held.
- One heat each on a canal in Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
- One heat on a canal venue where the fishing rights are not owned or operated by Canal & River Trust.
In order to host a qualifying event a venue must meet the following criteria:
- Availability of 100 pegs split into two sections of 50 (which may be on two canals in close proximity).
- A match headquarters that can be used pre and post-match including, ideally, for food availability and which has adequate car parking facilities.
- Good car parking and towpath access.
- A non-fishing event organiser who takes responsibility for advance promotion and organisation on the day (Canal & River Trust or Angling Trust officers will not normally be present at the qualifiers).
- Availability of up to four teams of weigh-in stewards.
- Provision by the organisers of adequate weigh scales.
Neighbouring clubs are welcome to put in a joint bid to host a qualifying heat.
Qualifiers may be held on either a Saturday or Sunday (or bank holiday Monday) between Saturday May 11 and Sunday September 29 2019 with the final being held on Saturday 19 October 2019 at a canal venue to be confirmed.
John Ellis, national fisheries and angling manager for the Trust, said: "This year's competition has again generated plenty of interest amongst match anglers and we'd encourage clubs wishing to host a qualifier in 2019 to get their applications in.
"It's a great opportunity to showcase the work of your club and get some of the region's best anglers on your particular stretch of canal. It promises to be a great event once more and we're looking forward to receiving lots of applications."
David Kent, National Chair of Competitions at the Angling Trust, said: "Success breeds success and the growing interest in this competition suggests that is right. There are very few top quality national canal-only and, indeed, pairs events anywhere in the angling calendar. This Championship provides a golden opportunity for anglers to compete not only on their local water but also against some of the best anglers around."
Closing date for applications
Successful applicants will be notified shortly after the closing date and it is anticipated that the 2019 qualifying venues will be announced at the final of the 2018 Dynamite Baits Canal Pairs Championship on Saturday 20 October.