This is the process for booking passage from the top of the Shropshire Union Canal at Ellesmere Port, along the Manchester Ship Canal and then onto the River Weaver (or the other way round!) to avoid the breach on the Middlewich Branch.
The process for booking passage of the West Cheshire Ring / Manchester Ship Canal is as follows:
Peel Ports have rules that vessels must comply with, these include:
- proof of seaworthiness of the vessel by a MSC surveyor
- proof of insurance, which you must provide
- specific equipment on board
- a payment for passage is required
- book at least 48 hours’ before passage
NOTICE: Transits involving passage through Latchford Locks, Irlam Locks, Barton Locks and Mode Wheel Locks will be restricted to groups of no less that six on a Pleasure Craft at any one time.
2. Please contact Cheshire West and Chester Council to book the opening of the bridge (by the Holiday Inn at Ellesmere Port) by ringing the reception for bookings on 0151 3566457. Please note that the bridge is operated by the council Monday to Friday only.
3. Please contact our local team on 0303 040 4040 to book Weston Marsh Lock opening (joins the Manchester Ship Canal to the River Weaver) or the locks at Ellesmere Port (joins the Manchester Ship Canal with the Shropshire Union Canal).