Packet Boat House
This building with the oddly skewed front was built to repair the fast packet or passenger boats. It had room for two boats with a workshop above. The lightweight thin iron hulled boats could be lifted up to the upper floor using a hoist.
Malcolm Taylor talks about the Preston to Kendal packet boat service. It ran from Lancaster to Preston from 1798, continuing to Kendal with the extension of the canal in 1819. The journey originally took 14 hours, but was reduced to 7 with the introduction of the fast Water Witch boat in 1833. Malcolm describes how boats were still maintained at the workshop when he moved to Lancaster in the 1970s.
Last date edited: 20 July 2015