Bringing cutting edge Georgian technology back to life.
Claverton Pumping Station is a waterwheel powered beam engine
built in 1813 to raise water from the River Avon to the Kennet and Avon Canal. It has been restored by volunteers and is open to the public.
The Grade II listed building is a rare surviving example of late Georgian technology. The canal links Reading with Bristol and was
the motorway of its day - a vital trade route carrying goods across country. Claverton was central to keeping water in the canal.
While some changes were made during the early years of operation, much of the original pumping machinery can still
Today, separate electric pumps supply water to the canal at Claverton but the historic mechanism still works and can supplement the water supply if required. Open Days throughout 2017 run on the following dates:
Admission is £6. Children under 16 are free but must be accompanied by an adult.
Claverton is five miles south of Bath off the A36 Warminster Road. Walk 400 yards (365 metres) down Ferry Lane across an uncontrolled railwaylevel crossing. Please take care and follow the crossing instructions. Alternatively you could park at the Dundas Aqueduct and walk along the towpath. The Pumping Station is a 30 minute walk from the aqueduct through the beautiful Limpley Stoke Valley.