Crick 2004 and 2005
This article follows on from the last one as Damian Kemp, our Boaters' Update editor, looks back at the previous 19 shows as Crick Boat Show celebrates its 20th anniversary. This time we're looking at 2004 and 2005.
While it may have been the year that London’s skyline got a quirky addition in the shape of a gherkin, buildings down in Boscastle, Cornwall, were washed away (and anything else in its path) by flash flooding. Around this time, football fans were introduced to the polarising ‘Chosen One’, now un-chosen, as Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho took over at Chelsea. It was his home country’s team that knocked England out of Euro 2004. Perhaps fans found consolation in one of the year’s movie hits; Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban or Shrek 2?
New basin at Llangollen
Better news could be found for those with a boating passion as the Dundas Aqueduct restoration, on the Kennet & Avon Canal, was completed and the basin at Llangollen was opened.
Crick Boat Show’s fifth outing was another resounding success with reports of the time judging that ‘more people than ever before’ had visited the show and, in turn, ‘traders reported even better business than the previous year’.
Unlike the year before, national events occupied the front pages in 2005 – the next in line for the throne, Prince Charles, married Camilla Parker Bowles, we voted in a Labour Government for the third consecutive time and Flintoff & Co had the Barmy Army in raptures as England beat Australia in the Ashes.
On the water, after a two year project, boaters could now cruise into Bugsworth Basin on the Peak Forest Canal. It was also the year in which both Blisworth Tunnel and Pontcysyllte Aqueduct celebrated their 200th birthday. In case you’re wondering, Blisworth (25 Mar) is just over eight months older than Ponty (26 Nov).
Nature of the waterways
Visitors to Crick Boat Show were welcomed with a ‘Nature of the Waterways’ theme although many probably spent 99% of their time looking round the huge range to be found in the 40-odd exhibiting boats. The remaining 1% may have been spent, neck craned, looking skyward as Europe’s only professional wing walking team performed a display.
Share your memories of Crick
If you have memories of these, or any other past show, then I’d love to hear them – please just drop me a line.
Buy your Crick Boat Show tickets now
In the meantime, did you know that advance tickets are now on sale for this year’s show? You’ll save up to 15 per cent on the entry price for the event, which takes place at Crick Marina, near Daventry in Northamptonshire, during 25-27 May, with an extra Trade & Preview Day to be held on Friday 24 May in association with LeeSan.
Thanks go to Waterways World for its help in providing archive material for research.
Last date edited: 8 February 2019