Boats in Bloom
We’re celebrating the people whose green fingers and gardening achievements help make our waterways such pleasant places to visit. This summer we’ll be presenting certificates to those whose plants, flowers and vegetable displays make a positive contribution to our canals and rivers.
The certificates are our way of saying a big thank you to everyone who boosts our ongoing work to make our waterways green and attractive places which everyone can enjoy. Gardening efforts on and besides our waterways help;
- brighten up these spaces for everyone, making them a nicer place to boat, walk and cycle
- provide habitats and food sources for birds, insects and other wildlife
- contribute to reducing the impact of extreme weather, for example helping heavy rain soak away reducing the risk of 'flash-floods', or by helping cool the air and reducing ‘urban heat spots’ particularly in built up areas when temperatures are very high
Share your blooming pictures
We’d love to see your pictures of your planting, you can post them on our Trust's Boating Facebook page or tweet them with the hashtag #boatsinbloom or #towpathinbloom. We’ll also feature a selection of your pictures on our website.
As well as presenting certificates to thank everyone who has made a positive green contribution (big or small), we’ll also be giving out some special awards for boaters and other groups who are making an extra-special effort to help make our waterways blooming lovely.
Boats in Bloom – special awards categories
- Most flower-filled boat
- Most edible growing boat
- Most imaginative use of space
(Special prizes may be awarded to other non-boat floating structures)
Towpaths in Bloom – special awards
- Best towpath garden or open space (private or public)
- Best towpath business in bloom (pub/cafe/other business)
- Best wildlife-friendly towpath (or boating) gardening initiative
Our panel of keen gardeners will look at all of the nominations and select a shortlist for the public to vote on which will decide the special awards winners.
Read the Terms & Conditions
What's happening when?
- launch of Boats in Bloom campaign as part of National Gardening Week (10 – 16 April)
- giving out Boats in Bloom certificates (From 1 May – throughout the summer)
- nominations for special awards open (1 May – 31 July)
- special awards shortlist published – public vote open (8 August – 29 August)
- special awards winners announced (31 August)
Find out more
- Volunteer - fill in this form if you'd like to help give out Boats in Bloom certificates
- Read our Frequently Asked Questions about Boats in Bloom
- Read the criteria our staff and volunteers will use when deciding who to give certificates to
Join the conversation
See what other people are saying about #boatsinbloom
Last date edited: 11 December 2017