Caring for the locks and canal for more than 200 years
The locks and canal have to be regularly maintained to prevent loss of water and lock gates are usually replaced every 25 years.
Although the equipment and health and safety rules have changed they still use the traditional skills to fit the heavy wooden gates.
100 years ago the gates were made a few miles down the canal at Apperley Bridge. The maintenance team used just an A-frame, block and tackle to carefully lift the five ton lock gates into position.
Today the gates are made at Stanley Ferry near Wakefield and they use hydraulic cranes to lift them.
They still have to be hand-fitted on site by skilled carpenters to create a watertight seal, just as they would have done in 1912.
Project Manager Peter Carter in the middle wearing yellow jacket and his team of carpenters at Bingley Five Rise Locks 2012.
Workmen repairing the wooden floor of the Five Rise Lock in 1912.
Waiting for a delivery of cement to repair the retaining wall of the Five Rise Locks and the canal bank.
Inserting stop planks using a pile driver at the top of Five Rise Locks, to drain the canal for the new swing bridge, around 1900.
Canal Company carpenters with the maintenance boat ‘Five Rise’ in the summer of 1890.
Bingley Heritage Awareness Project:
Last date edited: 21 July 2015